I have stuffed the seat!! Woo hoo get me!
It was quite hard work. And I think I might have over stuffed it! I watched the DVD my teacher gave me after I did the actual stuffing.. and I got it half right! I don’t think I have to change anything I have done, except cut and snip the corners better than I already have… and maybe make a bit more of a roll at the front…. and re-tack the front??
Anyway… from what I have done on my own.. I’m chuffed!
I sewed in bridal stitches all over the seat section. This involves creating a loose stitch big enough to fit your fingers into (see picture) this then forms the base that I can then tuck the horse hair under.
So I spent a good half hour tucking hair through and adding quite a bit more on top.. I thought I may have over done it.. I then put the Hessian over it and pulled it all down firm and tight! Tacked it all in place and then set about securing it!
You do this weird stitch down through the top Hessian through the horse hair and then as you feel it pop out of the bottom you then go straight back up and secure at the top. And you have to do this over the cop about 15cm from the edge. All the way round making sure you flatten it and tighten it by hitting with the flat of your palm.
Once I had this is place I went about creating the roll round the edges. You un-tack one of the temporary edges and create a roll… really difficult to explain but you stuff more horse hair (yes even more!!) under the stuff all ready there and then tuck the Hessian under all of it creating a roll and then tack this to the very edge of the frame…. You do this all the way round and especially the front. I think I may have not put enough in now… the more you work it the flatter it gets and I think I am going to need more hair!!
Once all this was done… I was knackered! But hey… it’s all good fun… see the next blog for blind stitching the front and creating the front roll!! For more pictures and for a look at my life in genreal visit www.flickr.com/photos/abstar
see Ya'll next time...